Altar servers are integral to the normal celebration of the Mass. Servers carry the cross, the processional candles, hold the book for the priest celebrant when he is not at the altar, carry the incense and censer, present the bread, wine, and water to the priest during the preparation of the gifts or assist him when he receives the gifts from the people, wash the hands of the priest, and assist the priest celebrant and deacon as necessary.
The role of an adult altar server is the same as for our youth. St. Joseph has a need for adult servers for our daytime Masses, for funerals, and other celebrations when our youth may be in school. In addition, our adult altar servers can also participate in our weekend Masses and special celebrations (e.g., the Easter Triduum).
This ministry is open to individuals as well as families: adult altar servers can serve with their children. Married couples may also serve.
The requirements to be an adult altar server at St. Joseph’s are in addition to those for our youth. In addition, the adult altar server must:
- Be a Catholic in good standing.
- Have completed STAND training.
- Have a basic understanding of the liturgical rubrics of the Mass.
- Be willing to be a mentor to our youth altar servers and assist them when needed.
- Exemplify discipleship: be responsible, devout, clean in appearance, and willing to serve when needed, sometimes during the day on short notice.
Training and Enrollment
Adult altar servers are trained separately from our youth and can be trained at any time. For more information on this ministry please contact the Parish Office.
“It is not enough to say we are Christians.
We must live the faith not only with our words
but with our actions.” Pope Francis